Created by our social friend @naturally_peachy these homemade lamingtons are perfect for a breakfast in bed or afternoon snack.
- 125g block butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 & ½ tsp baking powder
- 150ml milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- ½ cup Nomad Drinking Chocolate West Africa 45% Dark
- 1 tbsp spreading butter
- 100ml boiling water (may need more depending on how thick/thin you like them)
- 3 cups coconut flakes
- ½ cup raspberry jam
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the vanilla and eggs one at a time and mix in between.
- Next add in half of the flour and mix until just combined. Add the remaining flour, salt, baking powder and milk in and fold together. (Make sure not to over mix here!)
- Pour the mixture into a baking tin and bake for 35-40mins. Once baked, allow to cool on a wire rack and cut the cake into 9 equal squares.
- Place the cake cubes in the freezer for 1-2 hours to firm up and make them easy to work with for the coating process.
- To make the chocolate mix, combine the icing sugar, chocolate powder, butter and boiling water together until smooth.
- Blitz up the coconut flakes until a fine crumb is made and set aside on a plate to use for the outside coating.
- To assemble the lamingtons start by cutting a cube in half and spooning a teaspoon of jam in the center. Place the top half back on the bottom and drop into the chocolate mix. Coat the cake in the chocolate and transfer into the coconut flakes. Place the lamingtons on a wire rack to set a little and enjoy!