FLOURLESS HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE CAKE
This Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Cake is rich and a little fudgy but somehow light. With a wonderful nutty flavour from ground hazelnuts it almost tastes like Nutella. Serve it with a cup of Nomad Drinking Chocolate, as a dessert with ice-cream, for morning or afternoon tea or freeze in slices to pop into a lunchbox. Easy to make this cake is a crowd pleaser and in my household one of the most baked cakes.
YOU WILL NEED
- 35g Nomad cocoa powder 100% dark
- 1/3 cup (80ml) hot water
- 150 gram Nomad dark chocolate buttons 72% Dark, melted
- 150 gram butter, melted
- 220g firmly packed brown sugar
- 125g hazelnut meal
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, extra
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to moderate, 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a deep 19cm-square cake pan; line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Blend the cocoa with the hot water in a large bowl until smooth. Melt chocolate buttons over the boiling water.
- Mix butter until fluffy, add egg yolks and sugar. Stir in the chocolate and hazelnut meal.
- Beat the egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then fold into the chocolate mixture in two batches.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan; bake in a moderate oven for about 45min or until firm.
- Stand the cake for 15 minutes; turn on to a wire rack, top-side up, to cool.
- Dust with sifted extra cocoa, to serve.