CHOCOLATE TART WITH ROSE PETALS
The chocolate tart is a simple, yet decadent classic that every baker should try whipping up at least once in their lifetime. With Nomad’s Chef’s Cocoa Powder being the key ingredient in this recipe, you can expect the Chocolate Tart with Rose Petals to have a rich, luxurious cocoa flavour. The intense and complex flavour of the powder is nicely offset, however, by the pastry’s light crust and through the incorporation of sea salt and rose pedals in the recipe.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 250g plain flour
- 75g unsalted butter, cubed
- pinch sea salt
- 90g icing sugar, sifted
- 4 tbsp full-cream milk, plus 55ml
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 200g Nomad's Ecuador Esmeraldas 72% Dark Chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- Nomad's Chef's Cocoa Powder and dried Rose Petals
To make the pastry:
- Place the flour, butter, salt and icing sugar in a food processor and process for 20 seconds.
- Add 55ml milk and egg yolks and process for 30 seconds, or until a mass forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured bench and knead lightly for a few moments.
- Flatten it on the bench and form a ball. Wrap it in plastic and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, and spray a 28cm tart tin with oil spray.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured bench until it is 2cm wider than the tart case.
- Roll the pastry over your rolling pin and gently ease it into the tart case, pushing the sides in gently.
- Rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Line the tart case with foil, add some rice and blind bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the rice and foil, brush the tart shell with egg wash and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and increase the temperature to 200°C.
To make the filling:
- Place the cream and 4 tbsp milk in a saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and incorporated.
- Strain the egg into the warm chocolate mixture, and stir until absorbed.
- Pour the warm filling into the cooked tart shell and smooth it with a spatula.
- Turn off the oven, and bake the tart for 20 minutes or until just set.
- Allow the tart to cool, then sprinkle with cocoa powder and rose petals.
Do not refrigerate the tart.